Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Re-purposed Tennis Racket


For this project I really only have a picture to reference, in the picture it looked like the original creator used different colored thread, that looked like a lot of work so I just chose yarn that faded into multiple colors. This allowed me to just keep wrapping and not having to worry about what color would look best next.




I started by finding the middle then counting six spaces out and that is where I started. Now this is really when you have to pay attention. Once one section is wrapped in yarn and you move on to the next you need to make sure you wrap it through the right square.  Some parts of the heart are taller then your last section and some are shorter. I had to keep referencing the original photo and I even had to redo a few sections because I wrapped it through the wrong square.


I just cut up a few sections of yarn so that it was easier to pull through then a long string of yarn, so once my string of yarn ran out I tied it off in the back of the racket so it could not be seen from the front.  It was a bit of a challenge to tie a good knot while still keep the yarn tight. I was not very confident in my knots so I just dabbed a little bit of Elmer's glue on each one and let it dry that way they will never come undone.


Here is the finished product! I love it, it is super funky. Now I just need to find a fun place to display it!

Below is the photo I used for my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment